Thursday, January 28, 2010

Childbirth classes and the flu

Jim and I had our childbirth class this past weekend. We spent 2 hours on Friday night and 7 hours on Saturday at Flower Hospital. We both really enjoyed the classes and learned a lot. My favorite part was all the calming techniques/massages that we got to practice laying on the floor with the lights dimmed! Haha! We also learned all about signs of labor, nutrition, labor positions, breathing techniques, post-labor, and newborn care. They also fed us very well, with lots of snacks and food (you don't want to have a room full of hungry pregnant women!). The couples that were in our class ranged from being due at the end of February to the end of April. It is always so fascinating to me to see how different people carry their babies so differently! We had time to share stories and complain a bit too :) And we received our certificate saying that we were official graduates too! Guess that means we're ready to have a baby, right?? Next, Jim and I are signed up for a breastfeeding class on February 8.

Unfortunately, I came down with the flu on Sunday night. Despite getting both the regular flu shot and the H1N1 shot, the bug still managed to find me! The past few days have been rough and stressful. I stayed home from work on Monday-Wednesday and spent a lot of time on the couch with Presley. After talking with my OB on Monday, she assured me that it was most important to get liquids down and to avoid dehydration. Thankfully, I was able to do that. I ended up going to my regular doctor on Wednesday because I still couldn't shake it and had lost quite a few pounds. After receiving a pat on the back and a "just wait it out", I went back home and spent some more time on the couch. Thankfully, I woke up feeling much better on Thursday and have been able to eat regular food again! Yay! Throughout the past three days, Bean has been kicking up a storm. I think it is his/her way of reassuring me that he/she was perfectly fine in there. Hopefully that will be my last bout of illness before bebe comes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment